My name is De-anna Lea, I am a BC Certified Teacher with a degree in English and Learning Disabilities. I am also an Equine Facilitated Learning Professional trained through EFW-CAN. I was born and raised in the Dawson Creek BC area and have called Fort St John home for the last 20 years or so. Over the last decade I have taught a variety of grades at the elementary school level. Although I have focused mainly on grades six and seven, I have experience teaching grades K to 7 and love them all.
My focus in teaching has always been on working with people who require an alternate learning environment, this has included at risk youth, behavioral interventions, sensory processing support, special education, swimming lessons, first aid instruction and adults simply looking to find balance in their own lives. I always put relationships and trust building first, so the doors to learning can open.
Having had a life long love of horses, nature and teaching it seemed only natural to marry these interests into a program that could help a wide variety of people on their own personal growth and development journeys. The result of this marriage is Summersend Balance.
I believe equine facilitated learning offers a unique, individualized approach to learning and personal development that can not be achieved in traditional learning and therapeutic environments.
Education and Training:
- BC Professional Teaching Certificate – TQS
- Bachelor of General Studies – SFU
- Learning Disabilities and English
- Explorations Workshop –EFW – Can
- Focus 1 Training: Core Concepts – EFW – Can
- Focus 2 Training: Scope of Practice – EFW- Can
- Integration Training – EFW- Can
- Excel with Horses – Level 1 – Rother Horsemanship
- Occupational First Aid Level 1 – Work Safe BC
- BC College of Teachers – TQS
- Equine Facilitated Wellness Canada Society
- Horse Council BC
- Excel with Horses – Rother Horsemanship
- American Quarter Horse Association
- American Paint Horse Association